Thursday, October 25, 2012

Little Girl Has Beautiful Afro in Public. Teach them Young!

Young black girl with afro at restaurant.

Today I saw something I've never seen--well, maybe I've seen it once before, but it's very rare.  I saw a little girl who was about 6 years old at the restaurant I ate at tonight.


I couldn't even see her eyes because she had her hair in an afro that fell over them.  It was a type 4 afro--not type 3 curls which is usually more acceptable.  I was loving it.  I was loving that somebody in her circle is telling her from a young age that her hair is okay the way it grows from her head.

She didn't see anything wrong with her afro hair being out like that in public and I was glad that her mother (grandmother?) or whoever she was with obviously had no problem with her being seen in public like that even though the woman's hair was relaxed.

I thought it was a great thing and I wanted to reinforce things and tell this little girl that I loved her hair.  But I didn't.

Suddenly I'm reminded of this Sesame Street I Love My Hair Song.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment