Thursday, October 25, 2012

L.O.C Moisture Method Technique for Natural Kinky Hair

The L.O.C moisturization technique is probably the best method for moisturizing dry natural hair.  One of the most important things for natural hair specifically is keeping it moist.  Due to the structure of natural or nappy hair, it tends to be extremely dry--some more than others.  The key to retaining moisture is layering and sealing moisture.

I am a minimalist when it comes to my hair and I always just wanted to use one product that worked. I didn't want to have a bunch of different products in my hair like a product junkie.   But layering specific products really does work.



L.O.C stands for Liquid, Oil, Cream (and/or butter) and you would apply each to the hair in this order.

Liquid: The liquid you use is simply water.  Or it can be some concoction (water mixed with oils or a liquid conditioner with water as the main ingredient).  Take a spray bottle and mist the hair.

Oil:  You can use any oil of your choice to seal the water into the hair cuticle.  I use Oyin Humectant Pomade which is a bunch of oils in solid form. 

Cream: Use a creamy lotion-like moisturizer or creamy leave-in conditioner to seal over the oil.
Some examples of creams to use might be Oyin's Hair Dew or Curl Junkie's Beauticurls leave-in conditioner.  I personally use Nothing But Curly Pudding.


After this, you can use a thick heavy butter for one last measure.  Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine is a good one.

I wish I had known about this when I first went natural.  My hair used to be very dry all the time, but now I know how to keep it moist. You don't even have to do the L.O.C method every single day.  I do it after I wash my hair and I only refresh it once with either (not all) of the L.O.C components once a day when I style.

No comments:

Post a Comment